Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Reading Response #6 “Narratives of Space and Time”

I learn that placement of spacing in design can make the work very functional the clients. I have not notice until I finished reading this chapter “Narratives of Space and Time” from Envisioning Information by Tufte, how important spacing is. I like how in the reading there is an example of New York to New Haven train schedule and it shows and tells you what is wrong with the schedule. From this example, I learn that sometimes changing the whole layout of the design, you can give the work an appearance of more space. I also, learn that graphical schedule can be very helpful to narrate space and time of when a train is coming, or Japanese Beetle cycle of life and time, or also timing about people’s health. I only thought about graphing when it comes to scientific data not using it as a schedule. I learn a lot on how I can design nicer schedules and how to narrate space and time in better ways.
I never thought about Galileo as any form of a designer or creator. I always thought of Galileo as the original astronomer, not a designer. This chapter “Narratives of Space and Time” open my eyes about Galileo and other scientists tribute to information design. Spacing can make the design easy to receive information if it is done well. However, if the spacing is off or makes the design a little bothersome to viewers to quickly get information that is needed. I still do not understand how space and time is narrating in the design of train schedules and William Playfair’s graph of how much weapons the British bought. I love the schedule of “A day’s visit to Chicago after flying from Atlanta” created by Playfair because, I can understand the schedule and see what it is narrating of space and time. I do not I have figure out what it is, I know just by seeing it.
Surprising, I was into this week’s reading “Narratives of Space and Time.” When I started reading this chapter, it mostly talked about Galileo and his observation at Jupiter and its stars. I did not understand why Tufte was spending a lot of time talking about Galileo until, he explained his diagram and notes on Jupiter. His work on Jupiter, I think is the best example of narratives of space and time since, it is really simple and easy to understand. I like how the chapter tries to show different examples of arrangements of space and its relationship to time. Unfortunately, there were also many examples in the reading and I did not understand how they were related to space and time, and what it is narrating.

No comments:

Post a Comment