Tuesday, November 9, 2010

GAUGE Speaker Event with Ismael Obregon

The work at the GAUGE event by Ismael Obregon was presented more in a broadcasting way, for a moment I thought I was going to see a bunch of work that he has done. Instead it was an advertisement that he made for NFL. I sorted of liked the way the he presented his work, but it was confusing. I understand that Obregon’s work is supposed to explain it’s self, I felt that it went to fast for me to catch enough information. This event was related to my field because, I learned a lot about my major, graphic design. The topics that were covered at this event were how important is language and communicating with your clients in design, and some advice on how to start a company. These topics that Obregon covered during his presentation made me realize that I still have so much to learn in this field.
The GAUGE event with Ismael Obregon was very informative. In the beginning when he first started to introduce himself, I thought it was going to be a Middle Eastern person because, of the name Ismael. Obregon was not Middle Eastern, he was another ethnicity. However, it is nice to know and see diversity of ethnicity in the graphic design world as a minority. I understand that Obregon wanted his work to show language and how we use it to communicate to others. Unfortunately, I did not pick up on many of the visual communications that he was trying to present, it went a little too fast for me. The presentation was confusing for me in the beginning but, when we were able to ask questions to Obregon, he answered them and everything else was ok. This was a very informative event.
Surprisingly, I did learn something at this event. I learn that visual is just as important in language as written and spoken. I also, learn that having good communication with your client is important because, they are relaying on your skills to help with your clients business. Even though, it was a little confusing in the beginning, Obregon gave good advice on how to start a business in the graphic design, what you need to know so you can be chosen for an internship, and doing internships is very important. I would strongly recommend this event of Ismael Obregon to my peers and my friends who are not art majors. The speaker was fun, very informative, and lively. I was very interested to hear what Ismael Obregon had to say about him being in the graphic design field.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to know I was not the only one that was confuse and spaced out when that presentation was over.

    ReplyDelete